Monday, March 30, 2009

RUMOR CENTRAL

Have you heard? These 4 candidates, if elected, are going to fire district teachers?

When faced with a shock-value rumor like that, it’s always good to take a deep breath and then check the rumor against reality. Here’s the facts –

- Before these people were candidates they put their reputations on the line to fight to make Pre-school and Full-day K available to MORE students. If successful – this would mean more teaching positions. Actions should speak louder than rumors.

- 2 of the 4 candidates did or currently do derive their family income from teaching. 3 of the 4 are or have pursued degrees in education. Career choices should speak louder than rumors.

- I personally had a discussion with one candidate on the value of tenure to the teaching profession. First words out of their mouth were – “don’t you think it’s necessary [to retain teachers]?” (Though after the discussion, they did promise to think about my points.) Honest initial reactions ought to speak louder than rumors.

- According to the Illinois Association of School Boards, “The Board employs and evaluates one person - the Superintendent - and holds that person accountable for district performance and compliance with written Board policy.” State-wide policy ought to speak louder than rumors.

Seems to me the only way teachers are going to get fired (or reassigned) is because these candidates don’t win and certain teachers supported them. Shouldn’t be; isn’t legal. But if someone’s not above spreading shock-value rumors in an election who knows what level they might sink to in order to get their way. Could even be someone like that might ask others in their employ how they were going to vote in the next election. Sounds like more intimidation tactics to me. Let’s all hope that story is just a rumor, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should be concentrating on keeping the good teachers. The ones that are here to teach our kids and enjoy it. The ones that the kids are actually learning from and enjoy the classroom. Not keep the ones that are only here to collect a paycheck.

They brought in these new 5th grade teachers and a couple of them haven't even tried to win these students over. I mean how is a child supposed to learn from someone who is always hollering.

Then they move around all these other good teachers and get rid of one who was awsome.

I am totally loosing respect for the present board. Our kids don't stand a chance if we as parents don't do and try and change what is going on here.

And lets not speak of the current middle school social worker. My child is totally afraid of her. She is not a very friendly person. Someone in her position should be a little kinder, sympathetic and caring with these children. I mean how is a child that has a problem supposed to go to her when all she does is yell.

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous, I couldn't agree more about our social worker at the middle school being unapproachable. I am unsure as to how she can promote the Social Emotional Learning program when she does not exhibit behavior consistent with our core values.

The best "social worker" I know is Mr. Jim. He is a caring and compasionate ambassador of goodwill at the Middle School. He is a wonderful mentor to all of our children. I was so pleased to hear that he was recognized as "Staff Member of the Month". Kudos to you Mr. Jim - we love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad someone is finally bringing up about the new teachers and the social worker. I'm not gonna mention names but I've not heard not one nice thing about those 5th grade teachers. And I haven't heard anybody say anything good about the social worker.

I would like to know what the present school board has done about screening these new teachers and allowing them to treat our kids like they have no say so in anything.

I have also been in this district for a few years. And I have to say I have seen a lot of changes in the middle school. With teachers and curriculum. And I must say none of them have been good.

I am only hoping that who ever comes in next has the best interest of our children and is not brainwashed into thinking otherwise.

May the best man or woman win!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who that that the middle school social worker was not a nice person. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.

She does not belong in that position. There is not one child in that school who has anything nice to say about her.

Somebody needs to evaluate what she is or isn't doing.

I know I dealt with Mr. Munch at the elementary school and he was wonderful. I can't say the same about Ms. Casteldo.

Anonymous said...

The President of the school board, Leandra, is a teacher. She teaches math at a local middle school and she is excessively knowledgeable about technology. That said, you don't need an education degree to be a school board member, just the intelligence, interest, and passion that Leandra, Patti, and Mark all posess.