Monday, March 30, 2009

Candidate: Lauri Valentin

Please tell us about yourself and your life.
I was born and raised in a northwest suburb of Detroit to college-educated parents who were involved in my education and demanded the very best from my school system. I hold a Bachelor of Music Degree from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and a Master of Music Education Degree from Northern Illinois University. I ran a school music program for 9 years and have taught privately for over 20 years. I have worked with individuals from 5 years old to 89 and through music have found a true universal language that all ages can share, enjoy and explore their own potentials through. I believe that there is no greater reward or responsibility than the opportunity to teach others. I am also currently a volunteer with a non-profit organization that is dedicated to giving kids a voice on issues that matter to them and the future of their world. The vision here is “to engage the personal and creative energies of students, families and communities in a collaborative process, and help them develop the skills necessary to become socially responsible leaders.” Ironically, this mission is very similar to my vision for a wonderfully successful school system. I am married with three children ages 13, 11 and 4 years. I am a 10-year cancer survivor who believes that life is truly a gift to be treasured and that it is far too short to waste not making the most of every opportunity to be the best that we can.

What prompted you to run for the board?
I am running for the board of education because I believe that education needs to be about children first. A school district that doesn’t continually consider how their decisions will affect the students is not serving its community and is indeed hurting its students. A board of education that doesn’t continually watch over the school system and question things for the best interest of all is not doing its job. I believe that our board of education could do its job better and needs people who are not afraid to ask the difficult questions and demand accountability from our administrators.

What experience and qualifications do you feel you have that will make you an effective board member?
I earned summa cum laude in completing my Masters of Education Degree because I worked hard to apply myself to my greatest potential. I then taught in the public schools for 9 years and had a great deal of interaction with students, parents, teachers, principals and superintendents. Most importantly, I have three children in district 107 and want their experiences to the best possible in order to prepare them for their futures, academically and otherwise. I believe that all of these experiences together with my passion for quality education and providing every child with opportunities to succeed will make me a very effective and caring board member.

As a band director I was in a role far different than that of a regular classroom teacher. Among my teaching duties I also created and oversaw Band Parent Organizations at two school different districts. Included in those responsibilities were working with administrators and parents to establish programs which supported the music program and enhanced the curriculum for the students. I oversaw 5 different budget accounts, negotiating costs and services from different vendors and service companies. I proposed and carried out curriculum additions and changes including adding a technology program and a music exploratory program for deaf and hard of hearing children. I worked with the DHH faculty and administrators to modify that program for the individual needs of the children within it including developing teaching material. I worked with the community to organize music participation in community events including participation in parades, farmers markets, and fundraisers.

As a parent, there is nothing more important to me than the quality of education my children receive. I respect the job teachers do everyday and believe that there is no more righteous occupation, except raising your own children, than that of being a teacher. That is why I chose to become a teacher and why I aspired to be the very best that I could. I believe that all children deserve to have opportunity to learn and grow in positive, nurturing environments. This is only possible with the combined dedication of the entire school system.

What do you feel are the key issues facing the district?
I feel that there is the need, from the top down, for a renewed commitment to the kids and the district mission statement. There is too much emphasis on bottom line and not enough emphasis on children. I feel that our teachers deserve better and that our district stands to benefit greatly from improved teacher morale. I feel that we currently place too much emphasis on standardized test scores and not enough emphasis on teaching kids how to study and problem solve. I also feel that as a district we do not listen enough to, or utilize the abundance of resources we have within our, teachers, parents and students.

What would you like to accomplish as a board member?
I would like to help restore an educational community that works together, toward the best interests of all.

What is your vision for the future of the district?
My vision is a school system that values the opinions of everyone and continually considers every opportunity to improve the quality of its service to the community.

No comments: