Friday, March 6, 2009

Dignity important for school board

The Doings

HINSDALE -- My grandfather, a respected school board member, rolled over in his grave today, appalled by District 86 events. He understood districts had responsibility to help students learn life lessons. He recognized learning came through social interaction, collaboration, team building, and academics. He knew the board was accountable to the community for maintaining modern infrastructure, strong administrative leadership, relevant curriculum, talented mentors, and diverse extracurricular opportunities. He believed ignoring one aspect of education caused all to fail.

My grandfather's principles were simple. He was open and honest. He listened. He was thoughtful. He was respectful. He built on ideas. He did not hide behind words like "fiscal responsibility" with a bias on only one aspect of education. He was not an elitist who found shreds of information he could apply out of context to compromise ideas from peers. He did not seek out individuals with special interest and work in private to sabotage public board work done in good faith. He did not force his personal agenda on others to win at all cost.

My grandfather helped shape me. Thankfully he served many years with a board who knew education happened in and out of classrooms. I fear District 86 students will experience fewer life lessons than they deserve. In April's school board election I will not vote for certain board members whose behavior doesn't adhere to my grandfather's principles. I hope community members vote in a similar fashion. The future of our young adults depends on it.

Mike Halligan


Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they might have gotten the school district number wrong....or is our situation and disgust and frustration that common around here?

Anonymous said...

I find it very interesting that this slate of four would allow the comment of "sounds familiar" to appear on their blog. It saddens me as a member of this community that four people would look for every possible negative aspect of our school district and current school board. As an involved resident, I am disgusted at the lack of dignity and respect given to this current School Board and the Superintendent. They have made every effort for the students of District 107 to improve the quality of their education while in a positive environment. There is nothing wrong with fighting for what you believe in. The issue that I and many others have, is when the people behind this blog take it upon themselves to lead the general community to believe that the district as a whole has failed us and the students. This proves to a large majority of the community, that you are only fighting for your own personal agendas, not for what the community needs. "Sounds Sad"

Anonymous said...

As a parent in this community and from Pleasantdale district I must say that before my kids started school I started hearing complaints from other parents. And I blew it off. Now that my kids have been in school for a few years, I have come to notice that things are actually getting worse. So who do you think we should blame. Who is responsible for the morale of the teachers, the curriculum at the schools, the hiring and firing of teachers.

As far as I'm concerned this board hasn't failed totally, not yet. But they are well on their way.

Can anybody please tell me exactly what this present board has done for the good of our kids.

I don't think as you put it, this slate of four has looked for negative things to say about the current school board or the Superintendent. They themselves have proven not to care. And thats too bad, becuase we have a bunch of great kids. And nobody is looking out for them.