Monday, March 30, 2009

Candidate: Karen O'Halloran

Please tell us about your life:
My name is Karen O’Halloran. I live in Willow Springs with my husband and 6th grade daughter. I grew up in Berwyn and for fifteen years sold real estate in the western suburbs. While in sales, I liked to refer to Willow Springs as the “diamond in the rough” – it’s a small village in the forest. It’s in a great location with a solid school system. I was thrilled when my husband and I were able to purchase our property here 15 years ago. I am passionate about education and appreciate the value a quality school district adds to the community as well as home values.

I have an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Concordia University and currently work full-time as a Merchandising Assistant in the Commodities Department of Corn Products International. Prior to Corn Products I worked as a federally appointed Shakman Monitor, for Brennan & Monti. As a monitor, I investigated the hiring practices for the City of Chicago. Prior to this I worked for MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn for over seventeen years. There I held various positions in accounting, human resources and sales.

I have been actively involved in the Pleasantdale PTA for six years, and am currently the Vice President. I also teach religious education to fifth graders at my church. When I am not busy volunteering I love spending time with my family, reading and being outdoors.

What prompted you to run for the board?
I have been attending BOE meetings for over six years and have seen many wonderful improvements to our school. I refer to myself as a “school board junkie”. While I have seen many positive changes I feel that in recent years the voice of the public has been lost. I feel that it is the responsibility of the board to listen and consider all concerns presented to the board. Unfortunately this has not been happening.

Several years ago concerned parents presented a petition signed by many parents requesting recess to be restored at the middle school. This was a decision made solely by the school administration without input from the parents. The board did not consider the community’s petition and would not over turn the recommendation of the Superintendent.

Last year concerned parents asked the board to reduce the 44% increase of the preschool and full day kindergarten tuition. The board again did not consider the community’s request and did not over turn the Superintendent’s recommendation.

When I personally expressed a dissatisfaction of the removal of art from the sixth grade curriculum I was told by the Superintendent that I was free to voice my concern to the Board. I was also told by the Superintendent that the Board never went against his recommendation (and they didn’t). This is when I knew that I needed to run.

I do not feel that the board should be a rubber stamp for the Superintendent. When parents lose a voice in their child’s education and when we as tax payers do not have a voice in how our tax dollars are being spent then democracy is lost.

What experience and qualifications do you feel you have that will make you an effective board member?
I feel that the knowledge that I have gained while attending meetings for the past six years has given me insight and background to be an excellent board member. I also believe that my experience in accounting and sales will assist me in my quest. I have always taken the “win win” approach in sales and feel that I am a qualified negotiator.

I also pride myself in my attention to detail. I am dedicated and passionate about our children and our school and I fully understand and appreciate the time and dedication required of a board member.

What do you feel are key issues facing the district?
I feel that the lack of communication on the part of the school fosters a lack of community in our district. What is the purpose of having a “Town Hall Meeting” when parents/tax payers are not free to express their concerns?

During my research for this position it has come to my attention that our school is lagging in technology. We are behind neighboring schools in the Lyons Township District. I have learned that all students at the Highlands Middle School are issued Mac Notebooks in sixth grade. They use their notebooks instead of textbooks. I believe that we need to strengthen our commitment to technology throughout the curriculum.

I also feel that the District currently measures it’s success by it’s test scores. While tests are an important tool and our test scores have improved, I do not believe that it is an accurate measurement for success.

What would you like to accomplish as a board member?
I would like to build the bridge of communication between the school administration and the community. I would welcome open dialogue at school board meetings. I would see that concerns and questions presented during open forum are reviewed, considered and responded to in a timely manner. I would encourage parental involvement in curriculum decisions. I would also promote Town Hall meetings were the community is free to express their concerns and their voice is heard.

I would like to ensure that all children in our district have access to an exemplary preschool/kindergarten education regardless of their financial situation.

I would like to further strengthen our technology program and ensure that our technology teachers are given the tools they need to meet and/or exceed National Education Technology Standards.

I would like to see an increase in teacher morale.

I want to provide oversight and accountability without micro-managing.

What is your vision for the future of the district?
I am passionate about children and I want to ensure that our school offers every child the opportunity to receive a world class education. I want them to have the tools needed to be successful, not only in high school and college, but in life. I want to help guide our children to achieve their passions and not classify them based on test scores alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you please share more information regarding the staff survey you talked about at the candidate meeting that showed morale was so low. When was it done and did they list specifically why it was low?