Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grants and More

About a week ago, I sent an email to Pleasantdale School's technology coordinators John McAtee, Judith Stevens and business manager Catherine Chang in regard to a technology grant that was available to schools. I also sent it to the superintendent of another local school district as well.


This is the email I sent to Pleasantdale. Click on the photo to make it bigger.

I received an almost immediate response from the other school's superintendent. You can read his response and the email I sent to them below.

Yesterday I received a written response in the mail from Pleasantdale. Click on the photo below to read the response for yourself.

Seriously, maybe Mr. Fredisdorf should view some of Dr. Wick's tutorials because it is evident that he has issues with reading comprehension.


Nowhere in this letter did I ask the district to obtain voice amplification equipment to benefit my daughter. She already has an FM amplification system due to hearing loss. I asked the district's technology coordinators to look into a grant that will benefit all the district's children, hearing impaired or not.


According to the link posted in the email above, "While a classroom amplification system is not a matter of technology integration or technology literacy, it clearly represents a technology solution that provides an optimal learning condition in the classroom. There is an abundance of independent research that shows the need for amplification in the K-12 classroom, both for hearing-impaired students and students with normal hearing. That research is clear, consistent, and conclusive.


If my intention was to obtain a voice amplification system for my daughter, why would I send this email to another district? Do I expect them to provide one for my daughter too? No. It was because this is something that is FREE and can benefit children.


Wait a minute...did I say I want Fredisdorf to look into a grant that will benefit all children? Silly me, what was I thinking! Everyone knows that children are low on the totem pole at Pleasantdale, especially if they have special needs!


Mark Fredisdorf does not want anything in his school that might help children unless, of course, it will raise his test scores. He absolutely refuses to apply for any grants for our district because he would rather use your tax dollars.


He wanted no part of the Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Grant that would allow kids to walk and bike safely to school. Willow Springs Mayor Alan Nowaczyk told us Fredisdorf said he doesn't want sidewalks because he would lose money he receives for buses. He cares more about money than the health and safety of your children.


He refused to apply for the Preschool For All grant because he has no problem pillaging taxpayers and sucking money out of unsuspecting parents, and he couldn't care less about the district's middle income families.


Apply for a grant? Are we crazy? Why would he want anyone's eyes on the finances at Pleasantdale?? Hmmm, makes you wonder...


In the future, I will gladly advance any inquiries not concerning the education services of my daughter to Mr. Fredisdorf and the Board of Education. Hopefully they, like other school districts, will appreciate the fact that community members care about children and their education.


Maybe they will understand the benefits of seeking out grant money and enhancing our children's education, but I won't hold my breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've learned that unless your child is extremely bright and smart you get nothing.
Just like I know some kids were invited to participate in a civic weekend downtown a few months back, which from what I understand they are going back. Most of my kids friends were invited to go. They were told that they couldn't go because it was only for the SMART KIDS. So much for social and emotional learning huh? If thats not discrimination I don't know what it.