Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dear Anonymous


I contemplated whether or not to dignify your drunken rant with a response, but here goes.

I join other public school parents fighting for lost causes such as recess, excessive and unnecessary homework, age appropriate pedagogy, and less testing because it's the right thing to do. When things don't change, I do the best I can for the ones I love the most.

My child sat out of six days of district-mandated testing since the beginning of May. We spent that time together while her classmates muddled through round after round of multiple choice standardized test questions that will sort them out and tell their parents how they rank on a bar graph. I wish I could stop the nonsense for all kids. In the meantime, I do what is best for my child.

I, as well as many other contributors, are very proud of this blog and the awareness we have raised in our community. This is evident by the number of subscribers and visitors we have on a daily basis. If you don't like what is written here, then stop coming by every day.

Posting administration and teacher salaries is nothing new. They are posted on many websites as well as in various newspapers each year. Taxpayers have a right to know how and where their tax dollars are being spent.

The "one person" that made a mistake in spelling was not just anybody, it was the PRINCIPAL of the middle school. This is a position that people look up to. Why is the bar set high for our children, but not for those making the decisions in regard to their education? Should we expect less of those in charge of the school?

I am not perfect. I make mistakes but I do my best to learn from them and use this knowledge to guide future decisions.

You ask that I stop complaining about irrelevant things. Do you think that a child's education is irrelevant? Do you think keeping an eye on how tax dollars are spent is irrelevant?

You asked me to "model something that will make your child a great contributor to this nation." I am doing just that by taking my children to be a part of the welcome home ceremony this evening at Midway airport for veterans of World War II. We don't just read about veterans or sit in assemblies listening to speeches; we participate in celebrating their wonderful contributions to this great nation of ours. Can you think of a better way to teach a child about the sacrifices these brave men and women made so that we can be free? Would you care to join us at Midway tonight?



Another thing I do is ride bikes to and from school with my children as well as other kids in my neighborhood. We live about a mile from school and must ride along a busy street not to mention up and down the very crowded School Street. Bicycling teaches the children the benefits of staying healthy through exercise while also helping the environment by reducing our carbon footprint. I also wrote and won a $400,000 grant on behalf of the Village of Willow Springs to install sidewalks on the routes to school. Why don't you ask Superintendent Mark Fredisdorf, Willow Springs Mayor Alan Nowaczyk or the Pleasantdale School Board what they have done to see this project through so that children can be healthy and safe on their route to school?

My emotions are not guided by hate and anger, they are guided by courage, truth, honesty and doing the right thing for all. It is far easier to do what is popular than what is right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go mom22 but you are far too modest! How about the example you have set for all children and citizens of this community in attending school board and park district meetings and reporting on the corruption that most of this town have no knowledge of. You are teaching us all that to sit and complain is worthless but to become proactive and spread the word by responsibly and honestly reporting the truth is noble. You are an example to all and the "drunk" commenter would be ashamed if anyone knew who they were! Keep up your mission, they can only ignore it for so long.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree. If you don't like what Mom22 says then don't come on here!

Anonymous said...

Dear mom22
You are so bitter about PSD 107 and their politics that you fail to admit that scores and performance of the districts are above the state level and still growing. So here is the deal you do whatever you do and let the professionals in education do their job. You are clear example how little knowledge is far more dangerous than ignorance. What makes a good blog is a stylish writing and freedom of expression, I figure since you called me “drunken” for no reason I decided to not waste my intellect on useless blog ranted by one person with two different signup names.

Linda said...

Dear Mom22.

I just want to thank you for all of your time and effort spent informing/enlightening us as to what is happening at Pleasantdale School District 107, and the shenanigans of the Pleasantdale Park District Board as well as the local Villages. When I look at my tax bill and see how much of my hard earned money is spent on these governmental entities I get nauseous! It is easy for others to criticize you personally - apparently they do not want this information revealed.

I am a concerned tax payer and I applaud you for taking the time and money to keep this blog going. You report things the way that you see them and allow others to comment. Isn’t that what free speech is all about?

"To give to every citizen the information he needs for the transaction of his own business; To enable him to calculate for himself, and to express and preserve his ideas, his contracts and accounts, in writing; To improve, by reading, his morals and faculties; To understand his duties to his neighbors and country, and to discharge with competence the functions confided to him by either; To know his rights; to exercise with order and justice those he retains; to choose with discretion the fiduciary of those he delegates; and to notice their conduct with diligence, with candor, and judgment; And, in general, to observe with intelligence and faithfulness all the social relations under which he shall be placed."
--Thomas Jefferson, Report of the Commissioners for the University of Virginia, 1818

Anonymous said...

You go Linda!